Saturday 11 February 2012

Muang Sing, Luang Namtha Province, Lao



Lao Airlines plane to Vientiane - Chinese built Xian MA60 turboprop
Transportation from Luang Namtha to Muang Sing
My room at the Chanthinmeng Guest House
Chanthimmeng Guest House as seen from the fields
Chanthimmeng Guest House view
Chinese visitors in Muang Sing










With the Chinese border nearby Renminbi is popular at the market moneychanger
Tuk tuk ride to the Adima lodge outside Muang Sing
With the tuk tuk driver
Lukewarm reception in the Akha village of Mam Ded Mai
Akha weaverin Mam Ded Mai
Akha village of Mam Ded Mai
Exceptional piece for the tourist trade in a Yao village
Sunset from the Adima Lodge eating area


Burning rice fields from my balcony at the Adima Lodge
Gecko on duty eating mosquitos in my room at the Adima Lodge
Dawn at the Adima Lodge
NORTHERN LAOS after Northern Cambodia seemed a welcome respite in some ways. I had enjoyed the people and culture immensely over two and half weeks in Cambodia but the dust and heat was sometimes challenging. Flew on February 20th from Siem Riep to Vientiane, changed to another flight to Luang Namtha, in Northwest Laos. Both planes were Chinese built MA60 turboprops operated by Lao Airlines.

Travelled in a small bus nearly 60 kilometres to Muang Sing up in a broad high valley. I was dropped off at the Chamthinmeng Guesthouse where i had a reservation. As I was getting over a cold my first day here was relaxing. I walked along the main street and spent time at the Old Market. Also walked out to the fields that the hotel faced. 

The next morning I took a tuk tuk out to the Adima Lodge 10 kilometres north of Muang Sing and off  the road, to the Lao/Chinese border, just a few kilometres further. Big Chinese trucks loaded with goods came lumbering down the narrow highway forcing the little taxi almost into the shoulder. At my lodgings it was only a 10 minute walk to a nearby hill tribe village. Mam Ded Mai was up a dirt road and looked very different from a typical Lao lowland village. Some house were on posts but the design was somewhat different. I felt a bit intrusive, especially with a camera, walking into the community. Children begged for pens and tried to sell me textile pieces from the village. Continued my walk to the next village, or cluster of villages, were the atmosphere seemed different. This time the inhabitants were Yao ethnicity.

Had a late lunch at the lodge which seemed very greasy and quickly got food poisoning. Spent the rest of the afternoon recovering, and god forbid, stayed off food till the middle of the next morning. Just the same the trip out here was worth it. As the day ended the sun descended into the haze and behind the hills in a trail of pastel hues. As darkness fell burning rice fields could be seen across the valley. It must have been the mosquito eating Gecko in my room that brought me good luck. The next morning I felt better, after a long sleep and with my cold almost gone

Now I am in Huay Xai on the Mekong River with Thailand across the water. Tomorrow I will join the hordes of tourists for the popular trip by slow boat down the Mekong to Luang Prabang.

















































No comments:

Post a Comment