Tuesday 7 February 2012

Day 2 at the ruins

TODAY BEGAN with a visit to Baphuon temple which was a trial to ascend in the morning heat. Following that I walked past the ruins of Phimeanakas and Preah Paililay before strolling on to the Terrace of the Elephants. This was Day Two of a three day tour of the ruins of Angkor Archaeological Park. There are dozens of temples to visit but I will lucky if I see just a hand full. Originally visited Ta Prohm temple yesterday and I enjoyed the place so much, I returned this afternoon, finding a shady spot and absorbing the atmosphere. Sketched some musicians to begin with, out near the East entrance, who were playing traditional Khmer music. Once in the temple I did my first watercolour of the trip. Ta Prohm, built in the early 13th century, was a monastic complex that is only partially cleared of jungle growth. It was built under the direction of Jayavarman VI, the best known of all the Angkorian kings.

Tomorrow's travels will take in temples that are much further afield.

On the way to the ruins
Add Monkey inside the Angkor Thom complex
Causeway to Baphuon
Sri Tek purification ceremony for good luck
  
Terrace of the Elephants, Angkor Thom

Musicians at Ta Prohm
 Ta Prohm
Ta Prohm
Ta Prohm


1 comment:

  1. As a Buddhist, I can't wait to see these magnificent temples in person.

    Domingo

    ReplyDelete