Tuesday 26 March 2013

Laphet – a culinary narrative

 Laphet food stall on Suledagon Road, Yangon

Laphet ingredients, food stall on Suledagon Road, Yangon

Laphet salad assembly, food stall on Suledagon Road, Yangon

Voilà! Laphet salad, Yangon

PERHAPS NOWHERE ELSE will you eat this! Imagine something vaguely reminiscent of Pesto Sauce but combined with a medley of crunchy and flavourful textures. This uniquely Burmese dish makes use of pickled, or rather fermented tea, as a foodstuff. It is laced with sesame oil plus other ingredients such as crispy fried garlic, peas and peanuts, toasted sesame, crushed dried shrimp and preserved shredded ginger.

Having read about this strangely different dish, in my Lonely Planet Guide, my interest had been piqued. The LP travel writer had described it as a "slimy-looking mass of leaves that puts some foreigners off, but is actually quite tasty." Now, you could hardly call that encouraging, could you? In the same publication the dish was referred to as  leq-p'eq however they added that it is often spelled Laphet. Often sounded better to me, in a desperate kind of way.

Across from the Sule Pagoda and along the street, of the same name, was a block of buildings that included a mosque and a lot of pedestrian traffic. Lining a sidewalk of broken pavement, with occasional peeks at the neighbourhood drainage, were a row of food stalls. All of sudden, i spotted the legendary Burmese Laphet. I thought to myself, better not to eat here and just wait. But an invisible force was pulling me towards the humble stall. Before i knew it i had agreed on a price, hardly anything, and before my eyes the Laphet took shape in a bowl – or rather it took place between somebody's fingers. At that point i only then noticed how dirty the server's fingernails were. Oh well! All eyes were on me now, as the hulking tourist took his place on a tiny stool and ever so gingerly tasted the legendary Laphet – and guess what? My Laphet salad was indeed tasty. Nothing worse came of the experience then a new dish tasted and you, dear reader, having to stomach this culinary narrative.



Lahpet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How to Mix a Tea Leaf Salad - YouTube

5 comments:

  1. I am very glad to read that you like our traditional "LaPhet" salad... but to my knowledge, i have never heard of there is "fried shredded coconut" in it. Thank you for trying LaPhet thoke...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi D,

    Because of your feedback i have removed the reference to any toasted coconut. I was surprised to learn that there is a restaurant here in Vancouver that also serves LePhet. It tasted almost like what i had on the sidewalk in Yangon. The Mohinga fish soup is good there too. I think the Burmese-Canadian population is still quite small here in this city. Again, if you have any other impressions to share you can reach me here or at: altwein@shaw.ca
    bob

    Thanks!
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... this is my first time knowing Vancouver has Burmese Restaurant.. So do you like LaPhet? There are some other popular salad like "Ginger Salad" and "Tomato Salad" "Tofu Salad". Of course the taste vary from one shop to another. I hope you've got a chance to try from the good shop.... So you were travelling solo? Hope you would visit my country again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi D,
    As i mentioned in my first answer (in this post) i did eat Le Phet and that was on Sule Pagoda Road in the first block north of the Sule Pagoda and just up from the mosque. I had it out on the sidewalk and not in a restaurant. I did like it so i was curious how it would taste in Vancouver. The restaurant here in my town had an extremely limited menu but the La Phet was good, i thought and so was the Mohinga fish soup. I have not tried Ginger, Tomato or Tofu Salad but i am sure i would like it as i like those three things. I was travelling solo and without the help of any tourist tours. I did have the hotels arrange my transportation however to Mandalay and Kimpun, by plane and bus.
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete